Brighton Healthy Smiles dentists strongly recommend that children wear a mouthguard while playing any contact sport. It is always better to prevent an injury than to repair one. The earlier a child begins to wear the mouthguard, the easier it is to become comfortable and continue to wear it as they get older. Your Brighton Healthy Smiles dentist can recommend appropriate products to protect your child’s teeth, contact us today!
- Not wearing a mouthguard makes a child 60 times more likely to sustain damage to their teeth.
- It is estimated that more than 200,000 oral injuries can be prevented each year just by wearing protective mouth gear
- Football – 30% of players don’t wear a mouthguard
- Hockey – 60% of players don’t’ wear a mouthguard
- Softball – 70% of players don’t wear a mouthguard
- Dental related injuries in girls exceed those of boys
- 80% of all athletes don’t wear mouthguards at practice, where the majority of injuries occur.
Make sure your pint-size players and teenage athletes are ready for their sport seasons. Contact our office to schedule for a professionally made custom fit mouthguard today.
Custom Fit Mouthguard Advantages
- Thin, comfortable, custom fitted and will retain their shape long after other mouthguards have worn out.
- Increased oxygen intake for maximum performance and endurance
Youths that participate in any of the following activities should wear mouth protection
- Field and ice hockey
- Martial Arts
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Water polo
- Any Sport that could result in being hit in the face by a ball, an elbow, or a piece of equipment